At Premier Dental Esthetics in Arcadia, we use dental crowns to solve a number of dental dilemmas. Sometimes, it’s the only way we can save a tooth.
A dental crown is a strong, natural-looking tooth restoration that covers the top of a damaged tooth. They can remedy the following problems:
- A broken tooth with decay
- An existing, ill-fitting crown
- A decayed tooth that has lost significant tooth structure
- A tooth that has had a root canal
- A tooth that is too small or misshapen
- A tooth that causes a bite problem
Before a crown can be attached, the tooth it is fitting over must be prepared. The affected area is numbed with a local anesthetic. Then any decay is removed, and the tooth is shaped. Next, a mold is taken of the prepped tooth and surrounding teeth.
A temporary crown is placed on the tooth while the permanent crown is created. Vigorous brushing or flossing can displace the crown or damage the exposed soft tissue, so you need to be careful while it’s in. You should also refrain from eating hard or sticky foods.
Once the permanent tooth is ready, it is cemented in place.